USA Learns, First English Course
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://usalearns.org/teacher/
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
USA Learns First English Course is a complete online course for beginning ESL students. It includes lessons on classroom vocabulary, numbers, time, clothes, shopping, and more.
- Go to USA Learns for Tutors Teachers (Example Web Site above) and follow the instructions to create a new class. Once you have created your class, you will need to get your students to register in your class so that you can track their progress. Instructions for how to do this are included on the site.
- Print the registration instructions if you will need them to help your students get registered.
- Have your students go to http://www.usalearns.org/class/ to register for your class. This is important! If they go to the main site and register, they will not be able to join your class and you will not be able to track their progress.
- Your students will need to enter your last name, and your class password, so be sure they have these and can spell them. In addition they will create their own password. You will be able to view their password in case they mistype or forget it.
- Once your students are registered in your class, they can work independently at their own pace, and you can track their progress on the teacher site.
- Best taught in a lab with Internet access and a projector, although students may also use this site from home
- Make sure you create your course at using the Teacher's site for USA Learns , and that your students register at the Student's Class site (rather than the independent student site). This way you will be able to monitor progress and assign more practice if needed.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information
- (1.1) Use measurement and money
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (2.3) Understand concepts of time and weather
- (2.2) Understand how to locate and use different types of transportation and interpret travel related information
- (3.6) Understand basic health and medical information