USA Learns: Course 1 (Mobile App)
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://usalearns.org/apps/
Computers, internet access, mobile device, wireless internet access (wifi)
Students with smart phones or tablets can use the USA Learns mobile app to access the USA Learns content and additional vocabulary and activities.
- The app should be introduced in conjunction with the USA Learns Web site, so your students should already be using the site.
- Download one of the apps yourself and become familiar with how it works.
- Watch the video on the Example Web Site above to get an idea of how the apps work and what activities are included.
- Discuss apps with your students. Find out how many are interested in getting the apps.
- Explain that these apps are for both Apple products (iPhone, iPad) and Android products.
- Provide students with the link above to download the apps, and offer assistance as needed.
NOTE: Students will only be able to download the app if they have an Apple iTunes or Google Play account, and a way to pay online.
- Assign your students a lesson on the USA Learns Web site, and suggest that they follow up with the app for homework. For example, First English Course, Units 1-5, cover classroom vocabulary, numbers, time, and reading the calendar.
- The videos for these apps are online, not downloaded onto the phone or tablet, so the app will only work when the device is connected to the Internet.
- Each app costs 99 cents and there are 4 apps for First English Course, so be sure students understand this.
- If they do not have "unlimited" data plans on their phone or tablet, they could incur additional costs for watching the movies if they exceed their plan limit as this is considered "downloading data." So be sure they understand this in advance.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information
- (1.4) Understand methods and procedures to obtain housing and related services
- (1.1) Use measurement and money
- (2.3) Understand concepts of time and weather
- (3.3) Understand how to select and use medications
- (6.0) Demonstrate pre-computation skills
- Android Phone
- Android Tablet
Developer Site http://www.usalearns.org/apps/