SymbolWorld: Healthy Living
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.symbolworld.org/articles/91-Healthy-Living
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
In this activity, literacy and low-beginning ESL students learn healthy living concepts including the following vocabulary: fruit, vegetables, glasses of water, sugar, salt, fish, milk and exercise with the help of symbols. Students then demonstrate their understanding of the material by selecting the words/phrases/symbols that correctly complete the sentences.
- This activity should be taught as part of a unit on health. Your students will need scissors and glue for this activity.
- Print out ONE copy of Healthy Living Sentences [pdf]. WHITE-OUT the following words/phrases: fruit, vegetables, glasses of water, sugar, salt, fish, milk, and exercise, and make copies of this for each pair of students.
- Print out the Example Document (above) Healthy Living Vocabulary and make copies for each pair of students (to save paper, there are three sets of vocabulary words per page. Cut along the dotted lines and distribute one set per pair of students).
- Display the Example Web Site (link above) using the digital projector.
- Read the sentences, pointing to the symbols and using gestures to help students understand the concepts. Be sure to scroll through both screens.. Repeat as necessary.
- Group your students in pairs.
- Distribute copies of the Healthy Living Vocabulary document to each pair along with a pair of scissors. Have them cut out the eight words/symbols.
- Distribute the copies you made of the document titled Health Living Sentences with the eight words/phrases/symbols to each pair.
- Have students place the correct word/symbol in each sentence. Check their answers. When they have placed the correct word/symbol in each sentence, give them glue sticks to secure the words/symbols to the paper.
- This site teaches concepts on a large number of topics. If you would like to do a similar activity with other resources from this site, you will need to register for an account in order to print the materials.
- To register, select Welcome Guest and then Register. You will need to provide a valid e-mail address in order to validate your account.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- (3.5) Understand basic principles of health maintenance
- (3.4) Understand basic safety measures and health risks