SymbolWorld: Food Safety
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.symbolworld.org/articles/611-Food-Safety
Computer, Internet access, projector
In this activity, literacy and low-beginning ESL students learn food safety concepts as well as the words "before" and "after" with the help of symbols. Students then demonstrate their understanding of the material by choosing which word/symbol correctly completes the sentences.
- This activity should be taught as part of a unit on health and kitchen/food safety.
- Your students will need scissors and glue sticks for this activity.
- Download and print out ONE copy of the Example Document (above) Food Safety Before and After. WHITE-OUT the 'before" and "after" words/symbols and then make copies of this for each pair of students.
- Download and print out the Example Document (above) Before and After and make copies for each 5 pairs of students (to save paper, there are 5 sets of the "before" and "after" words/symbols per page).
- Cut along the dotted lines and give one set of words/symbols to each pair of students).
- Display the Example Web Site (link above) using the digital projector.
- Read the sentences, pointing to the symbols and using gestures to help students understand the concepts. Be sure to scroll through all five food safety screens. Repeat as necessary.
- Group your students in pairs.
- Distribute copies of the "Before and After" document to each pair along with a pair of scissors. Have them cut out the four "before" and "after" words/symbols.
- Distribute the copies you made of the document titled "Food Safety Before and After" with the "before" and "after" words/symbols whited-out to each pair.
- Have students place the correct word/symbol in each sentence. Check their answers. When they have placed the correct word/symbol in each sentence, give them glue sticks to secure the words/symbols to the paper.
- This site teaches concepts on a large number of topics. If you would like to do a similar activity with other resources from this site, you will need to register for an account in order to print the materials.
- To register, select Welcome Guest and then Register. You will need to provide a valid e-mail address in order to validate your account.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- (3.5) Understand basic principles of health maintenance
- (3.4) Understand basic safety measures and health risks