Slides Scramble: Giving Instructions
Computer(s), projector, headphones, microphones, and PowerPoint or other presentation software
Create a slideshow, using PowerPoint or Open Office's Impress or other presentation software, of a 5 to 10 step process or you can use the Example Document above Making Coffee Steps. The slide show consists of clear and distinct images of each step without any captions. Scramble the order of the slides and save the scrambled presentation. Students open the saved model presentation and save it with a new name (preferably including their own name). They unscramble the slides placing them in the correct order, and then record a narration of the steps using sequential transition words such as first, second, third, next, finally, etc.
- Think of a simple process that can be described in 5 to 10 steps. (Or you can start by using the PowerPoint file shown above in "Example Document."
- Use a digital camera to take clear close up photos of all of the distinct steps of a simple process.
- Upload images to your computer.
- Create a simple slideshow using PowerPoint, Open Office's Impress, or other presentation software. Each step has its own slide. Enlarge the photos to fill up the entire slide
- Scramble the slides and save the slide show on each student computer.
- Demonstrate the following procedures:
- Opening the scrambled presentation
- Saving the presentation with a new name
- Moving slides into the correct order
- Recording a narration
- Fixing narration on an individual slide.
- Saving the finished project
- Check student work for errors, pronunciation, etc.
- Play completed presentations for the whole class.
- Make sure each photo clearly shows only one step of the process.
- This is a good project for pair work.
Once students have completed the project, they can create a new presentation demonstrating the steps of a process of their choice. They take the photos and create the steps themselves.
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (1.7) Understand procedures for the care, maintenance, and use of personal possessions
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (4.6) Communicate effectively in the workplace
- (4.5) Effectively use common workplace tools and technology
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills
- (7.7) Demonstrate the ability to use information and communication technology
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals