Quick and Easy Internet Activities
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Booklet of Internet Activities / PDF File
Use this booklet over the course of a term/semester with beginning-intermediate internet/computer users. Topics include Finding Information on the Internet, Weekend Plans/Movies, Following an Internet Path, Fair Housing, Legal Assistance, Library, Vacations/Travel, Weather, Food Ads, and Comparison Shopping with both internet search activities and class surveys/interviews.
Match up activities in the booklet with your class topics and objectives.
Print and photocopy the booklet for students. Demonstrate the activities and model how to use the internet (for beginning computer users). Allow students time to use the internet to complete the activities. Check students' answers individually as they complete them or as a whole class after students check/compare answers with classmates.
You may choose to print and use only select activities that are suitable to your course content. Before having students do an internet search activity, make sure the sites are working and are not blocked at your school. The layout/appearance of some sites may be different from the screenshot images in the booklet. Some of the Web sites listed are specific to the Northern California / Sacramento area. You may choose to omit them or substitute the URLs of Web sites specific to the area where you teach.
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information
- (1.4) Understand methods and procedures to obtain housing and related services
- (1.3) Understand methods and procedures used to purchase goods and services
- (1.2) Use information to identify and purchase goods and services
- (1.1) Use measurement and money
- (2.3) Understand concepts of time and weather
- (2.2) Understand how to locate and use different types of transportation and interpret travel related information
- (2.5) Use community agencies and services
- (6.1) Compute using whole numbers
- (6.0) Demonstrate pre-computation skills
- (7.3) Demonstrate ability to use problem-solving skills
- (7.7) Demonstrate the ability to use information and communication technology
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals