Online Classified Ads: Relocation Project
Computer(s), Internet access, presentation software, projector (for class presentation)
In this activity, students will use online classified ads to investigate job openings and find housing where they live for someone they know who is hypothetically relocating to their city. Students create a PowerPoint slideshow about the job and salary, the housing and cost, and create a monthly budget.
- Choose which classified ad sites you will have students use and make sure that they are not blocked at your school. Ideally, have students use the local newspaper's classified ad site.
- Prepare a list of sites with Web addresses (URLs) for students to use. If you do this in a Word document with embedded hyper-links and e-mail it to them, your students can just open the document and select the links to visit the Web site needed. Another idea would be to include the links to the job and classified ads on your class Web site.
- Prepare a handout describing the assignment on which students can take notes.
- Prepare a sample presentation or use the Example Documents provided above.
- Tell students that they are going to imagine that a friend or family member is moving to the city where the student currently lives and that they are going to help that person find a job, a place to live, and calculate how much money he or she will need to have each month. Ask students where they can look to find a job and housing for this person.
- Explain and demonstrate how students will use online classified ads to find this person a job and a place to live.
- Go over commonly-used abbreviations used in classified ads for employment and housing (e.g., FT, PT, pd., 1BR, 1BA, sec. dep. req'd., etc.).
- Give students time in the computer lab to find the information required of the project, circulating to assist students, as needed. Web sites that can be used for the project, in addition to the local newspaper classified ads, include the following:
- Then, once students have located and taken notes on the information required, show them how to use MS PowerPoint or other presentation software to prepare an oral presentation.
- It is helpful to demonstrate first as students follow along, an employment classified ad site, and then later (perhaps even in a different class period) how to find housing with an online classified ad site. Alternatively, students can copy and paste information into a Word or other word-processing document.
- Intermediate High
- (1.8) Demonstrate financial literacy skills
- (1.5) Understand how to manage household finances
- (1.4) Understand methods and procedures to obtain housing and related services
- (1.2) Use information to identify and purchase goods and services
- (1.1) Use measurement and money
- (4.1) Understand basic principles of getting a job
- (6.1) Compute using whole numbers
- (6.0) Demonstrate pre-computation skills
- (6.9) Use estimation and mental arithmetic
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills
- (7.3) Demonstrate ability to use problem-solving skills
- (7.7) Demonstrate the ability to use information and communication technology
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals
- (7.5) Understand aspects of and approaches to effective personal management