Memrise: Interactive Flashcards
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.memrise.com/course/54235/english-visual-dictionary/
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (optional), speaker(s) and/or mobile device(s)
Beginning level students can learn and practice basic vocabulary with the English Visual Dictionary Course in Memrise, a Web site with accompanying app that reinforces vocabulary learning with interactive flashcard-like "mems," which can be mnemonics, etymologies, amusing videos, photos, example sentences, and adaptive testing with multiple choice and short answer questions. This course is just one of numerous ESL courses. Teachers can also create their own courses, and students can modify/add their "mems" to be more personalized.
- Start by registering for a Memrise account as a teacher.
- Confirm your e-mail account in the e-mail you receive in your inbox from Memrise.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school, if you plan to use the Web-based version with students. Set the volume of the computer(s) and/or app(s) at a reasonable volume.
- If you plan to have students use the app, download the app on the devices students will use. Enable your school’s wi-fi on each device. Note: This may require a password.
- If you plan to use the English Visual Dictionary course, select a section that fits with your teaching topics. Practice using the site and/or app to familiarize yourself with the activities.
- If you teach a higher level, you can browse for other courses at Find English Courses.
- Optionally, add a course to your courses, have students create accounts, and add students. There are support pages available to help you with this.
- Teach a lesson or plan and execute a preparation activity related to the vocabulary you have chosen in the course.
- Demonstrate for students how to create their own accounts. They will need e-mail accounts and will need to verify their e-mail in the message they receive in their inboxes from Memrise.
- Select a course. Some courses, like the English Visual Dictionary, have units, while others do not. If there are units, select a unit. All the words will be listed.
- Select Learn these Words.
- Depending on the flashcard deck, the flashcards may have a word, audio, a definition, an image, and a sample sentence. If the word is known by the student, he or she can select next. If the student is unfamiliar with the word, he or she can choose "Help me remember this." Then the student can select a “mem” that will help him/her remember the word or the student can select "add a mem.” There is an on-screen tutorial that shows how to add one’s own mem. Select "Next" to continue through the tutorial. Enter text and/or an image (by search or upload) for a personalized mem and save.
- Select “Next” to continue through the flashcard deck.
- There are questions within the deck that check students’ memory and understanding of the vocabulary, which include multiple choice or short answer questions.
- Points and a timer are displayed in the top right.
- Students can be provided time in class or assigned homework to continue studying the flashcard deck(s).
- In the dashboard area, students can set learning goals for courses. At "Pinned Courses," select "Keep motivated – set a daily goal" and choose 5, 15, or 45 minutes per day. If students achieve daily goals, they receive extra points on their scoreboards.
- To use the app the first time, open the app. Tap the screen to start. Swipe through the introductory content. Select "Let’s Grow." Create an account. Select English. Select the top right menu to access Settings (turn on/off audio, autoplay, keyboard marking, and notifications). Select a Course and “Start Learning.” For help with the app, see the FAQs in the top right drop-down menu. If multiple students are using the device and the app, have students log out from the menu.
- There are numerous free courses, but see Memrise Premium for subscription prices and added features.
- The English Visual Dictionary course has 1046 words in these categories:
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (7.4) Demonstrate study skills
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals