Mad Libs: Parts of Speech Practice (Mobile App)
iPad(s) or iPhones, Internet access, document camera (optional)
Use any one of the apps 21 free stories with students to practice parts of speech, listening, reading, and storytelling.
- Download the app on your device(s).
- Enable your school’s Wi-Fi on each device. Note: This may require a password.
- Practice using the app to familiarize yourself with it.
- The first time the app is opened, it asks the user to enter a date of birth. (They want to be sure that the user is old enough to be responsible for any "in-app" purchases. So be sure students enter at least the correct year they were born.)
- Optionally, select the menu in the top left for more information on How to Play and Word Tips (definitions and examples of noun, verb, adjective, place). In the settings, you can also update the user’s age, and turn on/off effects and music.
- Swipe to the right to choose first story title or swipe down to select "21 free stories" to view all titles and choose one.
- Select Play Story.
- Slide the head to the right for examples and left for a definition and examples.
- Type in the part of speech or word indicated. Swipe up or enter to submit the word to the story.
- Repeat until the story is complete. Select Sweet to finalize the story.
- Swipe down to read the story with words that were entered. Note: The app does not correct accuracy of spelling or part of speech.
- The app itself says there are "in-app purchases" so warn students about selecting anything that might have a charge attached to it. But since no credit card information has been provided, you will probably be okay. While testing the app, we didn't encounter any "in-app purchases."
- Watch this short video of ESL instructors doing a warm-up exercise using Mad Libs .
- Use as a whole-class, pair, or small group activity.
- Have students select the same title and then read their stories, noting the differences based on words entered.
- Use as a fun warm-up or filler activity.
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills
- (7.4) Demonstrate study skills
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals
- Android Phone
- Android Tablet
Developer Site http://www.madlibs.com/