LiteracyNet: Articles on Healthcare
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.literacynet.org/vtd/readthro.html
Computer(s), Internet access
In this activity, students read about the causes of and remedies for a sore throat and answer comprehension questions.
- Preview site/articles.
- If you decide to create your own questions, prepare them using a word processor and print them.
Students read the article and take the comprehension quiz. Use as a reading lesson.
- Preview the articles.
- Brainstorm topic for prior knowledge.
- Read as a class.
- Ask comprehension questions.
- Use the quizzes or create your own.
- Assign students to read another article and report out to class - work in pairs or small groups.
- If you want to create online interactive activities, you could use Hot Potatoes and upload the activity to a Web site you have created. Hot Potatoes is a free, downloadable software program with which you can create a variety of different question/quiz activities.
- The site has articles and comprehension quizzes on a number of other health-related topics including getting a good night's rest, fetal alcohol syndrome, and HIV/AIDS.
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (3.6) Understand basic health and medical information
- (3.5) Understand basic principles of health maintenance
- (3.4) Understand basic safety measures and health risks
- (3.1) Understand how to access and use the health care system