Learning Chocolate Vocabulary Learning Platform: Natural Disasters
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.learningchocolate.com/content/natural-disasters
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers and/or headsets
Activity DescriptionUse this Web site in class when teaching basic vocabulary. The Web Site Example link (above), provides images of natural disasters. Use the Web site for introduction of new vocabulary to a whole class or for individual review in a lab setting. The site is like a picture dictionary with audio.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- In planning your lessons, choose vocabulary topics you want students to learn.
- Preview the vocabulary words for the themes you choose on the Web site. Themes include: Animals, Body, Clothing, Community, Food, Holidays/Celebrations, House, Jobs, Nature, People, School, Sports/Hobbies, and Transportation. Within each theme there are numerous vocabulary words grouped in sub-themes.
- Open your Web browser and select the Web Site link (above). Select the vocabulary theme for the words you want students to learn. You can also have students use the Web site on their own.
- Demonstrate how they can navigate to the exercise you want them to practice. Each vocabulary sub-theme has six exercises:
- Review: Students see clip art images and words below. They select the speaker icons to hear the words pronounced.
- Match-up 1: Timed audio to printed word match up - students select audio icons to hear words and drag audio icons to the words they hear.
- Match up 2: Timed drag and drop words to match them up with pictures.
- Match up 3: Timed audio drag and drop - select speaker icons to hear words and then drag the icons to match audio with images.
- Fill in: Timed typing in words for images.
- Dictation: Also timed, select a speaker icon to hear a word and type it with correct spelling.
- The Help tab gives on-screen instructions explaining how to complete the exercises.
- Because the site uses clip art images to teach vocabulary, certain images may need to be explained in the event that meanings are not clear.
- Students can choose language options (Spanish, German, and others).
- The Web site can be used as game-like review activities.
- Each of the five timed activities could be used for fun classroom competitions to review vocabulary that has already been taught and practiced. After a student or team completes an activity, the "Complete" button can be selected, and results are shown. Every correct answer gains 10 points. There are 10 seconds for each answer. One second sooner, one point more. Team points can be kept.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low