Language Guide: Vocabulary for the Body
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.languageguide.org/english/vocabulary/body/
Computer(s), Internet access, optional projector (for class presentation)
Use this Web site in class when teaching basic vocabulary. This link provides images of the parts of the body. Move the mouse over a body part to see and hear the word for it. Use the Web site for introduction of new vocabulary to a whole class or for individual review in a lab setting.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- Download and print the handout.
- Follow the Web Site Example link above (or from the site's main page, select English and choose the vocabulary category "The Body").
- On the drop-down menu for "difficulty" (it is has a drop-down arrow next to it), choose "Beginner." This selection will display the fewest vocabulary words, while "Advanced" will provide the most.
- Select the drop-down arrow next to "options." You can select to show the words or not. Here you can also select "Listening Quiz." Words will be spoken, and students can come to the classroom computer to use the mouse to select the body part they hear, as a Total Physical Response (TRP) type of activity.
- Choose "Speaking Quiz." A body part will be highlighted. Students should be directed to say the word for the body part.
- A handout that includes the focus vocabulary images for "The Body" with spaces to write the words provides students with writing and spelling practice. We have created one for you. Download it by selecting the link above.
- For any of the other activities on this site, you could create a handout by doing a screen capture of the Web page. Press the print screen key [Prt Sc], then open a word-processing program, and paste the print screen into the document. Resize the image, print, and make copies for students.
- They could then use the Web site for more independent practice in a computer lab or for homework.
- The Web site has free sound integrated resources for basic vocabulary with pictures and audio. Slide the mouse over the picture to see the spelling and hear the pronunciation.
- Categories of vocabulary include:
- Alphabet, Numbers, Greetings, Time, Writing
- The Body, Family, Men's & Women's Clothing, Fruits & Vegetables
- Animals, Insects, Birds, Reptiles & Amphibians, Fish
- Colors, Landscapes, Plants, Weather, Sea, Space
- Items in a Home
- Jobs, Business, Electronics, the Car, Art Fantasy, Tools, School, Money, Travel, Music, Construction, A Farm, Religion, Communication, Food, Kids, Military, The City, the Outdoors, Science, Medicine, Baby, and Games
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information