John's ESL Community: Idioms
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.johnsesl.com/idioms/
Computer(s), Internet access
Have students visit the site's Daily Idiom page to expand their vocabularies and gain study by writing down idioms, which you quiz them on later.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school.
- Create a note-taking form or copy/print the one provided above.
- Since the Idioms on the site change frequently, be sure to check the site the day you intend to use it.
- Create a note-taking form for each week or use the Example Document above.
- Tell students to go to the Idioms link of the site and write the idiom and its definition.
- You can also have them write an original sentence or dialog using the idiom.
When learning idioms or vocabulary, students will need plenty of practice and review.
This Web site has 350 activities for students of English, covering vocabulary, reading, writing, listening, grammar, idioms, and quotes. There are games, puzzles, self-study quizzes, and much more, all designed to help students improve their English skills.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- All Levels
- (7.4) Demonstrate study skills