Interesting Things for ESL Students Easy Vocabulary Quizzes: Nouns
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.manythings.org/vq/mc-n1.html
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, and speakers (for class presentation)
Use this Web site for whole-class review or assign students to use a particular interactive activity individually for practice. For the particular example provided, which is located in "Easy Vocabulary Quizzes" of the "Easy Things for Beginners" section of the Web site, use the basic vocabulary quizzes with beginning level students as a warm-up, review, or filler. There are several multiple-choice image-based questions on different parts of speech (nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc.). For each quiz item, there is a word and three images. Users select the correct image for the word provided and are given immediate feedback on their selections.
- Make sure that the Web site is not blocked at your school site.
- The quizzes on the site require a Flash Player plug-in, so you will need to make sure it is installed on the computer on which you or students will use the site.
- Preview the activity you plan to use in class (or have students use) by going through it yourself in order to anticipate students' difficulties or questions.
- Select an activity that corresponds to your current teaching/learning objectives.
- Open the Web site for the activity in a browser on the computer you plan to project from.
- Introduce the activity to students by explaining the purpose (to review vocabulary, for example) and demonstrate how to do the activity.
- Read the question(s) to students and call on students or ask for volunteers to provide answers, or to come to the computer and use the mouse or keyboard to answer questions.
- Many of the interactive activities on this Web site are perfect for warm-ups and fillers because they do not take a lot of class time. They can also be assigned for extra practice outside of class or in a computer lab setting.
- Add links to these activities on your Web page for easy access for students.
This Web site has numerous activities for all levels of ESL. There are quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, anagrams, a random-sentence generator, and other computer-assisted language learning activities. In addition to the "Easy Things for Beginners" section, there are the following sections:
- Vocabulary & Grammar Quizzes
- Sentence Patterns
- Slang & Idioms
- Podcasts / Jokes / Songs
- Crossword Puzzles
- Tongue Twisters & Poems
- Voice of America
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information