Funbrain: Change Maker
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.funbrain.com/cashreg/index.html
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
Help your students practice making change with this interactive game. Students figure out how many of each bill or coin they expect to get back when they pay for something. When students get the answer correct, the amount of change is added to their piggy bank. If they get the answer wrong, the correct amount of change is subtracted from their piggy bank. The more money they get in their piggy bank, the harder the questions will get. There are four levels of difficulty:
- Easy: Amounts less than $1.00
- Medium: Amounts less than $5.00
- Hard: Amounts less than $100.00
- Super Brain: Big Spenders
- Teach the students how to make change.
- Provide students an opportunity to practice making change with play money.
- Make sure students are familiar with using a mouse before engaging in this activity.
- Direct students to the Example Web Site (above).
- Demonstrate for the students how the site works.
- Have students select an appropriate level (easy, medium, or hard), select the American flag, and practice making change.
- Circulate the room to help students who may be struggling.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (1.2) Use information to identify and purchase goods and services
- (1.1) Use measurement and money
- (6.1) Compute using whole numbers
- (6.0) Demonstrate pre-computation skills
- (6.9) Use estimation and mental arithmetic
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills
- (7.3) Demonstrate ability to use problem-solving skills