Flippity: Games and Flashcards
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://flippity.net/
In this activity, students are given a weekly set of vocabulary words to study. Each day a different activity is introduced to help students learn the vocabulary. The week ends with a Flippity Quiz Show game and quiz.
Flippity is a powerful tool that takes the information you enter on a Google Sheet template and then quickly and easily creates numerous online games to help students with vocabulary and spelling. Games include a Jeopardy-style quiz show, Bingo, Hangman, Crossword Puzzle, Word Search, quizzes that generate a certificate when completed, Memory, and more. Imagine your English as a Second Language (ESL) students practicing vocabulary words with flashcards that speak to them. You can even insert images and video. Activities can be shared to your Google Classroom, Website, Moodle course or accessed on the Flippity Website.
- Select the vocabulary words and their definitions you want to use. If you want to play Bingo during the week, you will need 24 words.
- Decide on which games and activities you want to use.
- Prepare any templates needed. Once you have entered your vocabulary words and their definitions in the Flashcard template, your students are able to hear the words on the card spoken, practice the words, and play a matching game. Under the More tab, you can use the same spreadsheet to create a Bingo game, Crossword puzzle, Hangman, Memory Game, Word Search or simply Print Quiz.
- Be sure to give your Google Sheet files a descriptive name. You might want to keep templates in a folder labeled by chapter or unit.
- Decide how you will share your activity with your class.
- Open your activity in your classroom to be sure it is not blocked.
- Introduce your vocabulary words for the week.
- Demonstrate how to use the Flashcard activity.
- Give students a link to the activity to work on in the lab, or on their phones.
- Each day during the week select a different activity.
- At the end of the week, divide the class into teams. There is a template for selecting teams that you might want to use. Play Flippity Quiz Show using the same vocabulary words.
- Conclude the activities with a fill-in quiz generated with the Flashcard activity under the More tab.
- Use the Flippity Google sheets Add-on to quickly create activities.
- Be sure to check the uploaded Web-based Class Article on Flippity for more ideas.
- All Levels
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information