Flashcard Machine: Past Participle of Irregular Verbs
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.flashcardmachine.com/2518776/h85d
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, smartphones and/or tablets (optional)
In this activity, students study the past participle of 30 irregular verbs using online flashcards on a computer, tablet, or smartphone.
- Teach the grammatical form and function of the past participle of the following 30 irregular verbs: be, beat, blow, break, choose, do, draw, drink, drive, eat, fall, fly, get, give, go, hide, rewrite, ride, see, shake, show, sing, speak, steal, swim, take, throw, wake, withdraw, write
- Have students write the numbers 1-30 on a piece of notebook paper (one number per line).
- Model the following steps on the digital projector:
- Direct students to the set of flashcards shown at the Example Web Site (above).
- Have them select the Start Study Session and then Start Sesson buttons (keeping the default settings).
- Have them write the past participle for the first verb on their paper and hit the space bar to check their answer. If they answered incorrectly, have them hit the "L" key to repeat this flashcard later.
- Repeat until all flashcards have been answered correctly. Note: Students who made mistakes and requested to have flashcards repeated later will have to add additional numbers to their paper (31, 32, etc.)
- Students with Smartphones and/or Tablets can download a Flashcard Machine app. Links to the app stores for Apple and Android are available on the right side of the Flashcard Machine home page.
- An account is required to create flashcards (but not to view and study ones created by someone else). You may choose to create flashcards and share them with your students or have your students create and share them with their classmates. Here are the steps for creating an account . If you choose to have your students create their own flashcards, walk them through the steps to create an account. Students will need to have a valid e-mail address that they are able to access in order to complete the registration process.
- When creating a set of flashcards to share with others, it is important that the General Set Details be defined correctly. Be sure to:
- Select a Subject: Grammar or Language-English
- Select a Grade Level: Not Applicable
- Create a Title that describes the flashcards
- Create a Description that provides additional details
- Set FlashcardDB to Enabled
- Set Private Sharing to Enabled
- Select Save Set Details.
- To create the flashcards, select Quick Editor below "Create/Edit Cards." Enter the information for the first flashcard and select + Add Another for another card. Repeat until all of the flashcards have been created. Select Save & Exit. Share the URL (Web address) provided under Private Sharing with students.
- For homework, have students take turns creating a set of flashcards on the week's vocabulary and/or grammar for the entire class. Have students study the flashcards at the beginning or end of class (or while waiting for other students to complete a class activity) using the computers, tablets, and/or smartphones.
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (7.4) Demonstrate study skills