EngVid: Understanding Medicine Labels
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.engvid.com/practical-english-medicine-labels/
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers and/or headphones
In this activity, students watch an 11 minute video on medicine labels (accompanied by teacher clarification and class discussion), take an online quiz, and discuss the answers with the class.
- This activity should be included as part of a unit on health.
- View the video so you know what is in it as well as to be sure it plays on the computer you will be using the classroom. This video comes from YouTube, so if it is blocked at your school, this site may not be available to you. In that case you could use the content of the video to prepare to teach the topic yourself.
- You may want to pre-teach any unfamiliar vocabulary. It will aid in comprehension while students are watching the video.
- Introduce the topic (medicine labels) lead a brief description about medications to generate interest and activate background knowledge.
- Show the video using the Example Web Site link (above) using the digital projector, pausing it periodically to clarify points and monitor comprehension.
- Have students take the quiz and show you their scores when they finish.
- Display the quiz using the projector and discuss the answer to each question.
- The site has many ads. Be careful not to choose them. Teach your students how to identify and avoid them also. It is a very valuable skill for students to have while browsing the Web.
- Students should have basic computer and Web site navigation skills before engaging in this activity.
- To find lessons by level, use the filters found on the All Lessons page.
- This site offers other videos and accompanying quizzes on the following topics:
- business english
- culture & tips
- There are also many other useful text (as opposed to video) resources found at this site under the Resources tab. Some are printable and some have quizzes too. A few topics of interest include:
- 100 Common Job Interivew Questions
- Formal & Informal English
- Verbs Followed by Gerunds and Infinitives
- English Verb Tenses
- Countable and Uncountable Nouns
- Adveb Clauses
- Word Order in English
- 240 Common Spelling Mistakes in English
- Common Irregular Verbs - Grouped
- Common Grammar Mistakes
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- (3.3) Understand how to select and use medications