English Vocabulary Exercises: Feelings, Qualities & States
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (optional)
In this activity, students practice new vocabulary related to feelings, qualities, and states through five online gap-fill exercises.
- Familiarize yourself with the activities at the Example Web Site (above). Ensure that the site works on the computers in your classroom.
- Choose one of the five groups of "Feelings, Qualities, & States" vocabulary that you would like your students to learn.
- Teach the vocabulary words as well as their derivations (the verb, noun, adjective, and adverb forms + variants).
- Provide the link to the Example Web Site using either a bookmark/favorite on each computer, a link in an e-mail to your students, your class Web site, or a word processing document with hyperlinks on each computer. This is not necessary if you choose to do the activities as a group.
- Direct students to the Example Web Site (above) Tell students they can select the words (below the links to the exercises) to see a dictionary definition of the word.
- Have them do each of the five exercises for the group of words they learned.
- Have students show you their scores before they move on to the next exercise.
- Continue teaching groups of words and having students complete the quizzes as you have time. These could be broken out into several class periods.
- Students should have basic computer and Web site navigation skills before engaging in this activity.
- This Example Web Site features over 500 gap-fill exercises to learn and review over 1500 items of general vocabulary as well as 285 gap-fill exercises to review and recycle the general word families contained within the Academic Word List (AWL). General word categories include:
- Arts, Entertainment, & Literature
- Crime & the Law
- Food & Eating
- Health & the Body
- Money & Work
- The Natural World
- Phrasal Verbs
- Science & Academia
- Social World
- Structures, Places & Objects
- War, Violence & Conflict
- Intermediate High