English Instructor: Basic English Spelling Rules
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://anthonyhalderman.com/english/spellqz.htm
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (for class presentation)
In this activity, students will learn basic English spelling rules for the Present Progressive Tense, Simple Present Tense, Simple Past Tense of Regular Verbs, Comparative and Superlative Adjectives, and Adverbs, and take a 30-question quiz to test what they have learned.
- Students should be familiar with the form and function of the following grammar points before conducting this lesson/activity:
- present progressive tense
- simple present
- simple past of regular verbs
- comparative and superlative adjectives
- Print out the "Basic English Spelling Rules" handout (Example Document 1) and make copies for your students.
- It is recommended that you create practice activities for each rule for your students.
- Distribute copies of the "Basic English Spelling Rules" handout.
- Display the rules presented using the projector. You may choose to teach all of the rules at once or spread them out over the course of a few class sessions.
- Provide practice activities for your students to put these rules into practice.
- Direct students to the quiz posted online (see Example Web Site, above).
- Have students show you their scores upon completion of the 30-question quiz.
- The English Instructor site offers quizzes on many other topics, such as:
- Parts of Speech
- General Grammar
- Phrasal Verbs
- Verb Tenses
- Gerunds & Infinitives
- Comparatives & Superlatives
- Also for student study outside of class, Anthony offers podcasts (through iTunes, free) and 17 YouTube videos on English topics.
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low