English for My Job: Restaurant Vocabulary
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://englishformyjob.com/visual-english-restaurant1.html
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (optional)
Activity DescriptionUse this Web site with students to help them practice vocabulary with images related to restaurants. Additionally, there are vocabulary and dialog exercises for practicing English for the workplace in the following industries/jobs: Food and Beverage, Hotel, Travel/Tourism. There is also a section on politeness training (the right way to speak to customers/guests in English).
- Pre-teach vocabulary that may be new or unfamiliar to students.
- Make sure that the Web site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- Practice using the site to check the appropriateness of the content and level of English for your students and to be able to anticipate students’ questions or challenges using the site.
- Open the Example Web Site, above.
- For restaurant vocabulary, use this page. If you are looking for a different industry vocabulary, the select the industry category from the left navigation panel. There are also other activities for the Food & Beverage Industry, so use the navigation panel to find them.
- Have students type in or select the correct answers for the questions.
- Select Check Score to see the answers If the score is lower than 100%, select Show Solution to see the correct word in the place of the wrong one. Optionally have students Clear Answers and do the exercise again until the attempt receives a 100% score.
- Do the other Food & Beverage vocabulary activities as desired.
- The site has advertising so teach your students what it looks like and how to avoid it.
- Do the other Food & Beverage vocabulary activities as desired. Or do the hotel, travel, or politeness training activities.
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (4.6) Communicate effectively in the workplace
- (4.4) Understand concepts and materials related to job performance and training
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills