EL Civics for ESL Students: Fourth of July
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.elcivics.com/esl_fourth_of_july.html
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
This multilevel lesson about the Fourth of July includes a detailed lesson plan ,PowerPoint presentation , a comprehension check worksheet , a Fireworks Safety printing practice activity for Literacy-level students, an Independence Day Picnic writing activity , a Potato Salad Recipe (with comprehension questions) , a Find the Differences worksheet , and a Fourth of July Crossword Puzzle .
- Review the lesson plan and materials.
- Select the materials that are suitable for your level.
- Ask students to identify the upcoming holiday. Solicit responses and write them on the board (Independence Day, Fourth of July, July 4th, etc.).
- Ask students to share what they know about this holiday to activate background knowledge. Write their responses on the board.
- Show the PowerPoint presentation, explaining any unknown words and phrases.
- Distribute the comprehension check worksheet and have students complete it in pairs. Review the answers as a whole class.
- Have students complete the other activities you selected and review their answers.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (5.6) Understand civic responsibilities and activities
- (5.2) Understand historical and geographical information