Civics Lessons and EL Civics for ESL Students
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.elcivics.com/
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (for class presentation)
This is a Web site with multiple sections, activities, and lessons for ESL and EL Civics students in the area of US Government and History and other related topics. There is a picture tour of the Statue of Liberty and Washington, D.C. . Also, has a unit for beginners on the American Bald Eagle . Great for computer lab sessions. Printable crosswords and worksheets for some units. Also now has units on the holidays such as Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, etc. and Life Skills . There are worksheets, games, videos, video tours, pictures, an ESL Teacher blog, PowerPoint lessons, and more.
- Visit the Web site and select activities of interest and appropriateness for your class.
- Download and print worksheets if available.
- Some units have PowerPoint presentations. (See ESL PowerPoints link.) You will need to look closely at the page (due to the many ads) to see the the links to the lesson activities.
- Some units may have Crossword Puzzles. (See ESL Crossword Puzzles link.)
Depends on the activity you choose at the site. Follow the instructions there.
There is a fair amount of advertising at this site and it's sometimes difficult to tell what is part of the site and what is advertising, so look carefully before selecting items.
To find some very basic grammar worksheets at this site, visit their ESL Grammar Worksheets page.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- All Levels
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (5.6) Understand civic responsibilities and activities
- (5.2) Understand historical and geographical information
- (5.5) Understand the functions of government
- (5.1) Understand voting and the political process