Website Example: http://citationmachine.net
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
In this activity, students learn how to properly credit the information they use in their writing with the online Citation Machine.
- Students should be familiar with the reasons for citing references in their writing and know which citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago, etc.) they are expected to use before learning how to use this tool. For more information on citation styles you may want to try the Center for Writing Studies .
- Spend some time with the site, learning how to use it yourself in whichever style you prefer. Make notes on anything you think might be an issue for your students.
- Show students how to use the tool.
- Have them use this tool to properly cite the information they use in their next writing assignment.
- As with many sites of this type, there are MANY ads. Be sure to teach your students what they look like and how to avoid clicking on these ads, which could pose "issues" they would rather not deal with.