BBC Skillswise English: Prefixes and Suffixes
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/topic/prefixes-and-suffixes
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
In this unit on prefixes and suffixes, students learn a variety of prefixes and suffixes, suffix spelling rules, and how to find the root word. This unit is divided into 3 levels (titled Entry 1 & 2, Entry 3, and Level 1) and downloadable/printable fact sheets and worksheets are provided for each lesson and level. An online and printable quiz is provided for each level as well.
- Review the materials contained in each level (under "Start learning") and select the levels that are appropriate for your students.
- Review and print the video transcript(s), fact sheets and worksheets for those levels.
- Be sure to check that your students can access the quizzes from their computers (Java script must be enabled and Flash must be installed).
- Download and print quiz questions if the online quiz is not accessible.
- Write the words "prefix" and "suffix" on the board. Ask students if they know what these mean. If they do, have them give examples of each along with their meanings.
- Show the one-minute video [www] and discuss the various prefixes and suffixes identified in the video. You may want to provide the transcript for your students to help them understand the British English.
- Distribute copies of the fact sheets for the level you are teaching. Select the "View as popout" icon to display each fact sheet using the projector as you explain the information.
- Have students work on the worksheets in pairs or small groups and review the answers as a class.
- When you have completed a level, direct students to the online quiz (or provide printed copies if online quizzes are not accessible).
Entry 1 & 2 [www]
Entry 3 [www]
Level 1 [www]
- Have students show you their scores upon completion of the quiz.
- This is a resource of the BBC and uses British English. Preview to make sure your students can understand and be prepared to explain differences in spelling and vocabulary.
- You may want to print transcripts (when available) for the videos.
This site offers short videos, fact sheets, worksheets, and accompanying games and quizzes for a variety of levels on other spelling-related topics including plurals, root words, common letter patterns, memory aids, and words to watch out for. The same materials are also provided for a variety of topics related to reading, writing, word grammar, sentence grammar, speaking, and listening.
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High