BBC Skillswise English: Parts of Speech
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/topic-group/word-grammar
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
In this unit on parts of speech (word types), students learn about nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, and connectives. This unit is divided into 3 levels (titled Entry 1 & 2, Entry 3, and Level 1) and downloadable/printable fact sheets and worksheets are provided for each lesson and level. An online and printable quiz is provided for each level as well.
- Review the materials contained in each level (under "Start learning") and select the levels that are appropriate for your students.
- Review and print the video transcript(s), fact sheets and worksheets for those levels.
- Be sure to check that your students can access the quizzes from their computers (Java script must be enabled and Flash must be installed).
- Download and print quiz questions if the online quiz is not accessible.
- Introduce the topic and write "Word Types" as a heading on the board. Ask students if they can identify the various word types. Help them by writing "noun" under the heading.
- Show the one-minute video [www] and discuss how adding adjectives to a personal profile improves the writing (it makes it more descriptive). You can use the transcript in the example document above.
- Distribute copies of the fact sheets and worksheets for the level you are teaching.
- Have students work on the worksheets in pairs or small groups and review the answers as a class.
- This is a resource of the BBC and uses British English. Preview to make sure your students can understand and be prepared to explain differences in spelling and vocabulary.
- Print the transcript of the video in the example doc above to help students with the British Accent.
This site offers a short video, fact sheets, worksheets. Download the PDFs and use as an in-class activity.
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High