Adult and Family Education: Reporting an Emergency
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.web-esl.com/Emergencies/emergencies.htm
Computer(s), Internet access, projector, speakers and/or headphones
In this activity, students listen to and/or read 16 questions related to emergencies and select appropriate responses.
- Review the activity provided at the Example Web Site above.
- Teach the vocabulary and associated concepts appropriate for emergencies.
- Put the link to this activity on the desktops of each student computer, or if you have your own Web site, link it there.
- Review the vocabulary and concepts related to reporting an emergency.
- Direct students to the Example Web Site.
- Have students do the activity online.
- Have students show you their scores when they are finished with the activity.
- Review and discuss the answers as a class.
Students should have basic computer and Web page navigation skills before conducting this activity.
- There are a number of activities related to community resources & services on this Web site. You may want to try some of them too.
- This site also has activities on the following topics:
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- Beginning High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (2.5) Use community agencies and services
- (2.1) Use the telephone and similar communication systems
- (3.4) Understand basic safety measures and health risks
- (4.6) Communicate effectively in the workplace
- (4.8) Demonstrate effectiveness in working with other people
- (4.7) Effectively manage workplace resources
- (4.5) Effectively use common workplace tools and technology
- (4.4) Understand concepts and materials related to job performance and training
- (4.3) Understand work-related safety standards and procedures
- (5.6) Understand civic responsibilities and activities
- (7.7) Demonstrate the ability to use information and communication technology