50 Stimulating Classroom Starters
Technology needed will vary with activity chosen. Many require none.
The link here is to a 34-page PDF document that has a variety of activities. The handout briefly describes 50 different activities that could be used at the beginning of class (hence "Classroom Starters"), so chosen because they can be "completed easily in five to fifteen minutes," and "late arriving students can easily join in." Any worksheets needed to do the activities are included in the appendix. The activities were collected from a variety of sources.
- Download the document.
- Select an activity appropriate to your class, preferably one that uses some technology.
- Make copies of any worksheets necessary
Use the directions provided in your chosen activity to conduct the activity.
The activities can also be used at other times during a class: just before break, upon returning from a break, the last 10 minutes of class.
- Beginning High
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information
- (7.2) Demonstrate ability to use critical thinking skills
- (7.3) Demonstrate ability to use problem-solving skills
- (7.1) Identify or demonstrate effective skills and practices in accomplishing goals