365 ESL Short Stories: Raising the Kids
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.eslfast.com/eslread/ss/s025.htm
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (optional), speakers and/or headphones
Use this site with intermediate advanced students for reading practice and building reading fluency with audio support. There are 365 audio stories with accompanying interactive online comprehension and vocabulary exercises.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- Select a text that fits with your teaching objectives and is appropriate for your students’ level of English.
- Search the index for specific topics.
- Copy and paste the story into a word-processing program if you would like to distribute a printed photocopy of the story to students.
- Set the volume on the computer to an adequate level.
- Open the Example Web site (above).
- Select the title of the story you have chosen to use in class.
- Project the story from the computer or distribute the story if you have photocopied it.
- Select Listen to play audio in Windows Media Player or select the Play button on the player at the top, to play within your browser. Have students listen to the text as they read along. Optionally, have students read the texts aloud in pairs or small groups to practice fluency and pronunciation.
- Students can get translations of words into their native languages by selecting Translate then typing in a word they do not understand in the text box provided by Google Translator.
- Select Vocabulary at the bottom of the story for for alphabetical list of words (opens in a new tab of your browser) used in the story. Select a word to go to Dictionary.com definitions, including audio.
- Select Yes/No Questions (at the bottom of the story) for an interactive reading /listening comprehension quiz.
- Select Cloze for a vocabulary exercise based on the story.
- Choose Crossword for an interactive online crossword puzzle based on vocabulary used in the story.
- Select Keys for crossword answers.
- Choose Dictation for a final listening and writing exercise. Select the play button/speaker icon to hear the sentence and type exactly what you hear in the provided box. Make sure to start the sentence with a capital letter and start a proper noun with a capital letter. Select Check to see if your sentence is completely correct.
- The site has many ads, which can be distracting.
- To read stories without ads, you may want to sign up for membership which is currently $75 for 3 years.
- There are also links to the following companion Web sites:
- Follow up with comprehension and/or vocabulary activities, oral or written summary or personal response questions, or extension activities you prepare ahead of time, based on the text you select.
- Intermediate Low
- Intermediate High
- (2.7) Understand aspects of society and culture
- (2.8) Understand how to access and use educational systems and services