20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.20thingsilearned.com/en-US/home
Computer(s), Internet access, projector
Use this online book (36 pages) to teach your intermediate-high and advanced students about various aspects of browsers, the Internet, cloud computing, cookies, privacy, security, malware, and phishing. It can be covered in small chunks (20) and integrated into your everyday skills competencies.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- Review the Table of Things (aka Table of Contents) to identify the topic(s) you would like to address in your class. You will find it at the top of the page.
- Review the topic to identify vocabulary to pre-teach.
- Introduce the topic and have students discuss what they already know about the topic in small groups.
- Lead a whole-class discussion having each group share what it knows about the topic. Write this information on the board.
- Pre-teach selected vocabulary.
- Direct students to the Web site and specific topic (thing).
- Have students read silently, taking notes on the key points.
- Have them share and discuss their notes in small groups.
- Lead a whole-class discussion about the reading.
- The Credits indicate the site was built using HTML5, so you should not have problems playing it across all platforms.
- Intermediate High
- (4.5) Effectively use common workplace tools and technology