TDLS 2023 - Delivering High Level Hi-SET & HSD Success to Incarcerated Adult Learners
Presenter will offer a new perspective on how educators can prepare adult learners to succeed on the Hi-SET. They will show how similar techniques can prepare for success in HSD Algebra and post-secondary studies. These critical concepts are problem-solving, data analysis, critical thinking, and academic survival skills for passing the Hi-SET and succeeding as adult learners. The focus will be on the development of these in distance learning, hybrid, and in-person instruction for both the incarcerated and non-incarcerated.
• Four-Dimensional Education as the foundation for adult learning at the Monterey County Jail (MCJ) and for non-incarcerated
• Discussion of the four “C’s” of 21st Century Learning Skills and how they apply to success on the Hi-SET.
• The role of productive struggle in building success as a life-long adult learner
• Overview MCOE’s adult education program
• Focus on the preparation process to pass the Hi-SET
• Focus on success and achievement
• Questions and answers
Greg Ludwa, Monterey County Office of Education
Maribel Hernandez, Monterey County Office of Education