Upcoming OTAN Activities to Support Adult Educators
In response to COVID-19 and the closure of schools across the state, OTAN is setting up a number of online webinars and Office Hours for our adult education colleagues who are continuing to teach and support their learners.
- OTAN has set up a dedicated COVID-19 Field Support webpage that we are continually updating with relevant information for teachers, students, and administrators - this will also include notices from the CDE Adult Education Office and State Director Dr. Carolyn Zachry as that information becomes available: COVID-19 Field Support
- Our first webinar this week, Online Tools to Stay Connected to Learners, is scheduled for Tuesday, March 17 from 1:00 to 2:00. We plan to do a broad sweep of online tools and how to connect with students to keep communication going and provide learning materials. You can sign up for this webinar at the California Adult Education Training Calendar.
- On Thursday, Diana Vera-Alba will present Tips and Tools for Teaching Online. Teaching online is much different than teaching face-to-face! As many schools are looking to continue student learning through remote methods, attend this webinar to learn the differences between face-to-face and remote teaching, what it takes to be a good online teacher, what technical skills are needed, and where you can find additional help for all of the above. You can sign up for this webinar at the California Adult Education Training Calendar.
- On Friday, Susan Gaer will present Tips and Tricks for Teaching Beginning Level English Language Learners Remotely. Beginners who have a lack of language skills often need much more scaffolding than higher level learners to work online. This session will give participants tips and tricks for working successfully with these learners. (Note: This does not address ESL literacy. If ESL Literacy is seen as a separate need, OTAN can schedule another Special Webinar/Workshop.) You can sign up for this webinar at the California Adult Education Training Calendar.
- We are scheduling a number of open OTAN Office Hours over the next two weeks to give teachers a chance to ask more detailed questions and get support on specific tools that teachers are using with students. You can also sign up for these OTAN Office Hours at the California Adult Education Training Calendar.
- Wednesday, March 18 from 4:00 to 5:00
- Friday, March 20 from 10:00 to 11:00
- Monday, March 23 from 1:00 to 2:00
- Wednesday, March 25 from 4:00 to 5:00
- Friday, March 27 from 10:00 to 11:00
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 916-228-2580 for more information! We are here to support you!