Literacy Center Education Network
Example Web Site and/or Technical Equipment Required
Website Example: http://www.literacycenter.net/lessonview_en.php
Computer(s), Internet access, projector (optional), speakers and/or headphones
Use this site with pre-literacy and novice computer-using students to learn the upper and lowercase letters of the alphabet, alphabetization, shapes, how to hold a pencil and form shapes and letters, and spelling of simple words letter-by-letter, all while practicing keyboarding/typing and mouse skills. The site has audio for listening and repetition.
- Make sure that the site is not blocked at your school before using it with students.
- Set the volume on the computer to an adequate level.
- Preview the site to select an activity that suits your students’ needs.
- Open the Example Web site (above).
- Demo the site for your independent students or use as a class by clicking on a lesson to select it. A pop-up window or a new browser tab will appear.
- Listen and select the arrow keys or other prompts to go to the next part of the exercise. There are three or more practice parts to each lesson.
- Select the red X in the top right of the window to close the lesson and return to the main page.
- The site was designed for preschool children, but is appropriate for use with very low level English learners.
- The Web site also has the activities in other languages (French, German, and Spanish).
- To print flashcards (PDF files) for the lessons (Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Colors, and Words), select Print and Practice (in the navigation bar), choose a language, and select a category. Select the printer icon to print what you need.
- Beginning Literacy
- Beginning Low
- (0.1) Communicate in interpersonal interactions
- (0.2) Communicate regarding personal information